Is it worth it to build a grocery store?

All the Sims Freeplay discussions can be held here.
Mikavr
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Is it worth it to build a grocery store?

Post by Mikavr »

Jeez Louise is that store expensive to build!

is it worth it?

I know from research that the seeds and food ingredients are a "bit" cheaper....

But a "bit" would take a long time to equal 250,000 Simoleans to build it. (Is it going up every level I achieve? it seems to be..... huh.)

Those of you who could do it over, would you have start construction on anything else before the grocery store if you had to do it over?
GC: Mikavr
HFN: East Volcano view
mrs_smartt
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Re: Is it worth it to build a grocery store?

Post by mrs_smartt »

The seeds and stuff that you buy from the grocery store also help a very tiny bit to your TV. So buying gardening seeds and baking stuff in bulk will slowly help to increase your town value.

I would still build my grocery store early on when I can because of that fact. Plus, who needs a car lot anyways? :p
GC: TARDIS Rose (Closed)(Not Updated)
Wildlife Sanctuary: 3 West Oceanside
Haunted House/Maze: 12 West Side / 1 West Oceanside
HFN (In Progress): 2 West Oceanside
Mikavr
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by Mikavr »

Ahhh... too late! I built the car lot as soon as possible becasue I wanted to see what a car driving around town looked like!
GC: Mikavr
HFN: East Volcano view
mockingbird288z

Post by mockingbird288z »

Mikavr wrote:But a "bit" would take a long time to equal 250,000 Simoleans to build it. (Is it going up every level I achieve? it seems to be..... huh.)
The price of the buildings increases with each building that is completed.
Last edited by mockingbird288z on 01 Apr 2014, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
HFN: 22 West Side -- Includes dog and cat
Lakeside Christmas Update
Cyril
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by Cyril »

Mikavr wrote:Ahhh... too late! I built the car lot as soon as possible becasue I wanted to see what a car driving around town looked like!
If you get a neighbour with a high town value, you should be able to see all the stuff you can get as you advance in the game. You can then prioritise what you build next.
Game Centre Name: neildf
Marmalade
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by Marmalade »

I think it's worth it to build the supermarket. In the long run you will save Simoleons by buying seeds and ingredients from there. It was one of the first businesses I built.

I don't have a car lot and I don't intend on building one since I already have a few cars that came with the houses.
GC ID: katrina4027
HFN (with fire pole!!) at Starter House.
Haunted House by Fire Station.
syeirahu
Sim Pre-teen
Sim Pre-teen

Post by syeirahu »

The grocery store was the first public building I built. The savings were small for an impoverished beginner like me haha, but I can't think of anything I should've built sooner. I built the diving centre too soon; should've waited a bit because the toddler quest required building the pet store and I'd just run out of funds :(

The only place I have left to build with simoleons is the car lot. Low priority, because I figure cars are just another (unessential) expense, and besides, a couple of the houses come with a car. Right now, since it's the last unbuilt community lot, its construction price tag is sitting at 300,000 simoleons.

EDIT: Forgot. I haven't built the bingo hall yet either!
Last edited by syeirahu on 01 Apr 2014, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
GC: syeirahu (updated)
HFN: No.3 West Oceanside
HH: No.2 Diver's Way
Cat house: No.3 Firehouse Road
smartburn
Newborn Sim
Newborn Sim

Post by smartburn »

I'd say it's worth it. In hindsight I probably should have built the hobby store and community center before the grocery store, but then again I was all about money money money when I first started. Still am, haha (well, until the last few weeks when I was all about LP and now I'm taking an extended un-updated break). I built the car lot early on too, but only because of a weekly goal - since I hadn't bought many houses or added many sims, I didn't regret that either since it was a relatively decent source of LP in the beginning.

Ultimately you may as well build it regardless since it'll increase your town value and therefore your daily funds, even if it's the last thing you build. If I were to start all over again (and part of me wants to), I'd build the store after the hobby shop, community center and a workplace or two. The savings aren't much but can make a difference when you're trying to raise funds - I stopped buying carrots there and didn't see the point in getting birthday cakes there either, but I did get everything else aside from that. Definitely a better buy than the costume store or competition center as far as I'm concerned.
travneva
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by travneva »

I don't care for the supermarket to be honest, but you'll need to build it at some point--some daily tasks require it and it increases TV also. The savings are too minuscule and I rarely bother with going there. Come on EA/FM, be a little more generous with the savings. I would like the stuff to be half off. As it is I mainly grow beans and the seeds are only 15 or 20 simoleans off at the supermarket so it's really an afterthought for me. Birthday cake is not discounted if I remember correctly? I'd say supermarket and competition center are my two least used businesses.
Started December 2013
Level 54----16 Sims----TV 28.72 million
HFN 22 West Side
HH 1 East Side
Firepole, singing salmon, and 3* instruments @ Teen Idol Mansion
HordePrime
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by HordePrime »

It should also be noted that stuff from the Supermarket doesn't give you as much XP as stuff planted or baked normally. - This can be quite important if you are trying to go through levels quicker, and if you use it a lot, the difference can become quite significant.

Personally, I very rarely bother with the Supermarket. If I was starting the game now, it would be one of the very last things I would build. I can't remember ever having a weekly goal that requires it (but by contrast, there are several that relate to driving), but it is required for the Mystery Island quest as I recall, so make sure you have it before then.