[TIPS] Which Buildings to Build When

The tips and guides section.
General guides and tips only, quests have their own subsection!
IronMagus
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Re: [TIPS] Which Buildings to Build When

Post by IronMagus »

Some of these can't be built until the quest asks for them, and then you have to build them, so discussing when to build them is really a moot point:

Park
Children's Store
Real Estate Agency
Mysterious Island Bridge
Pet Store

...and that's as far as I've got (I'm still new to SFP), but I would presume that the same is true for the Swim Center, Elementary School, and Community Center, at least. I'm on my second go-round right now, because the first time I didn't know any better than to build the Competition Center first (hey, it said I could win prizes, that seemed like something I would want!) and the Supermarket soon after, and then I always felt 2 steps behind when my other buildings, the ones required for quests, were costing 100k or more simoleons and taking upwards of a day to complete.

Being new, as I am, I can't really offer much in the way of advice on which ones to build, but I can say this: do not build the Competition Center early on; you have to send one of your precious few sims away for a whole day, and it makes everything else cost that much more. The Supermarket is okay, I guess. It saves you 10% on seeds except for carrots, which are what I plant mostly, and bell peppers which are free already. I bought a bunch of corn from there last time, before I restarted, but mostly I plant carrots for income, which weren't any cheaper at the store, and everything else takes so long you don't end up planting them in mass quantities, so the savings from the store are pretty small, don't add up to all that much.
Last edited by IronMagus on 21 Apr 2014, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
mommacude
Sim Elder
Sim Elder

Post by mommacude »

How about the bingo hall? I built it for the quest but I don't send my senior there since last time she lost.
GC: mommacude
Checking things out after a long time away.
blackbrit
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by blackbrit »

mommacude wrote:How about the bingo hall? I built it for the quest but I don't send my senior there since last time she lost.
I would not build the Bingo Hall unless it was required in a quest. To me, this is definitely a building NOT to build.
L 55, Easter Update
HFN, #2 Firehouse RD.
Haunted House #20 West Side. Pre-built HH @ #1 Firehouse RD.
"C" for 74 cats, "R" for 80 reindeer; See map view
GC: blackbrit.1
For GC: Mention Hay Day or SFP
Lishws720
Sim Teen
Sim Teen

Post by Lishws720 »

Before the Love is in the Air quest at level 6, the tutorial requires you to purchase the fashion designing table, so I would recommend building the Promotions R Us store as soon as the "Build a business" task comes up, early in the game. Also, if you want the clothes that unlock upon completing the Love is in the Air quest, you must build the fancy dress shop.
AliciaWS720 on Game Center: §418 mil town value, VIP 10, level 55. Started as a new game during the DIY update. Special thanks to all of you very creative people on this forum for inspiration in designing houses!

My game is fully updated on iOS.
mockingbird288z

Post by mockingbird288z »

Lishws720 wrote:Before the Love is in the Air quest at level 6, the tutorial requires you to purchase the fashion designing table, so I would recommend building the Promotions R Us store as soon as the "Build a business" task comes up, early in the game. Also, if you want the clothes that unlock upon completing the Love is in the Air quest, you must build the fancy dress shop.
Thanks for the info!! I added that to the list!
HFN: 22 West Side -- Includes dog and cat
Lakeside Christmas Update
chamilet
Sim Adult
Sim Adult

Post by chamilet »

I don't know why, but I never had a quest that required me to build the Community Center or the Swim Center. One of my weekly quests finally had me build the Swim Center, but that was way past the level you have it listed here.
GC = chamilet (Glee characters) Please mention Sims
GC = LeslieGurun76 (Whovian characters) Please mention Sims
mockingbird288z

Post by mockingbird288z »

chamilet wrote:I don't know why, but I never had a quest that required me to build the Community Center or the Swim Center. One of my weekly quests finally had me build the Swim Center, but that was way past the level you have it listed here.
It depends on what update you started playing on, I think. Some new players (Life Dream update) are saying that you can't build the community buildings until the quest that first introduces them. I don't have an extra device to try it out so I can't be 100% sure. As for the list, I gathered all that info from Perturbee's blog. She has a post about what quests start when. There is a link to it in the first post on this thread. I just thought it would be nice to have a list of all the buildings and when they were needed so that people could plan ahead.
HFN: 22 West Side -- Includes dog and cat
Lakeside Christmas Update
IronMagus
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by IronMagus »

mockingbird288z wrote: Some new players (Life Dream update) are saying that you can't build the community buildings until the quest that first introduces them.
That's right. I just started playing in this latest update, and the Community Center, for example, when I click on it to build, had the requirements Reach level 15 and "Multi-Story Renovations" quest complete. I'm currently level 23, and until I finished the previous quest earlier this morning, I could not begin construction on it. Now, building the Center is actually the first task in the quest, so it doesn't really have to be completed before you can build it (I just started the quest, and am building the Community Center right now), but you still can't do it before it asks you to during the quest. Same has been true for the Park, Children's Store, Real Estate Agency, Mysterious Island Bridge, Pet Store, Swim Center, and Elementary School so far, and I can't build the High School until after the "Higher Education" quest (and since building that one's not actually part of the quest, I imagine I really will have to complete the whole thing before I can build the School.)

Some of the required buildings are available before the quest asks for them. The Town Hall, for example, is available from day one, even though building it (if you haven't yet) is one of the tasks in "Higher Education." Also the Snow Park, required for some later quests it looks like, is available after completing the "Weather Machines: An Alien Concept" quest. And the Car Dealer, also available from the beginning, says it's required but I think all you actually need for any of the tasks is to use a car, which comes included with some of the pre-made houses, so you don't ever actually need to build the Dealership, as far as I can tell.