Game keeps saying Download Error.

All the Sims Freeplay discussions can be held here.
jaymart
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Re: Game keeps saying Download Error, again!

Post by jaymart »

happened for me too, again,

turning off wi-fi, starting app and then turning wi-fi back on while first screen is still showing allowed to load the game, but didn't really fix the problem, still happening after that. I used this wi-fi on/off to save latest to the cloud and now reinstalling the game, this helped last time
http://simsfp.perturbee.net/viewtopic.p ... 378#p79378

very annoying.
FB https://www.facebook.com/JayMartin1611
20 West Side: HFN (watch for fireworks)
Town updated to the latest version
SKatF
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Re: Game won't load

Post by SKatF »

I thought it was EA server issue as others were out too. But apparently not everyone. After waiting 9 hours, trying intermittently, I did some searches. The reddit SFP group had many reporting this. Best advice was to turn off WIFI, start game and turn on WIFI when game at blue screen saying loading. Worked for me so far on android phone, Kindle and android tablet. (All three were stuck.) One crashed with all sims at mailbox, but no other progress lost. Others were all OK. But I save constantly, especially during events ... which is lately all the time.

I think that it helps to make sure you've completely closed your game before you try the WIFI off thing. Also if nothing else works, you can delete game and reinstall, downloading saved game from cloud.
ErinPW

Re: Game keeps saying Download Error.

Post by ErinPW »

I have merged some topics as all are about the same issue. Hope, this will be solved soon!
Handcrafted Homes Update, 5.83.1
iOS 17.4.1

HFN 3 Eastside includes cat and dog.
Haunted House 1 Museums Boulevard and Volcano View
warior
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by warior »

"no network" trick worked with my game on Android. Probably mobile internet connection should also be turned off.
SKatF
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by SKatF »

My phone seems fixed with the no network thing. But my tablet keeps reverting to error message whenever I leave app and return. I'm trying delete app and reinstall next.

At least I can get In without loss of progress and play and save until I get to a better WIFI connection place by doing no WIFI over and over as needed
jaymart
Sim Toddler
Sim Toddler

Post by jaymart »

my tablet also kept reverting to the error, reinstall fixed it and now it is working ok.

you can use wi-fi off and on to load the game and save latest progress to the cloud, and then it is better to reinstall to get rid of the download error.
FB https://www.facebook.com/JayMartin1611
20 West Side: HFN (watch for fireworks)
Town updated to the latest version
SKatF
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by SKatF »

I just had to reinstall as the trick to turn wifi off and start game stopped working. I got a new error message to call EA support.

I had just saved my game to the cloud and also to a second backup device. When I deleted and reinstalled my game on my playing device, I lost about 2 weeks progress: all of crafting event (was on last day), most of Influence Island (which I'd finished(, most hair dos (which I'd finished), and most Sim Springs progress (was half way thru library and got back 1.5 houses done and way behind).

Because of my save on the second device, I was able to upload from that backup device to cloud and then download to my main playing device. This restored everything.

Not everyone will lose progress when reinstalling but others besides me have. I highly recommend to save your game to a backup device before reinstalling. EA cannot be trusted to save your current game for you.
SKatF
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by SKatF »

FYI: Here's the message I got when the WIFI trick stopped working and had to reinstall game. I didn't have it earlier when I wrote message above.
Attachments
20220210_205038.jpg
ErinPW

Post by ErinPW »

SKatF wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 00:04 […]
Not everyone will lose progress when reinstalling but others besides me have. I highly recommend to save your game to a backup device before reinstalling. EA cannot be trusted to save your current game for you.
Thanks for pointing this out! I‘m pretty sure, the Firemonkeys can‘t help, if players have lost two weeks of progress or even the whole game after reinstalling! Without a backup device there‘s nothing left but patience.

The SFP Team are posting on Twitter

Handcrafted Homes Update, 5.83.1
iOS 17.4.1

HFN 3 Eastside includes cat and dog.
Haunted House 1 Museums Boulevard and Volcano View
SKatF
Sim Veteran
Sim Veteran

Post by SKatF »

The amount lost due to reinstalling seems to vary wildly. All the players I've seen on my gaming Facebook page (I don't know them outside SFP) say they had recently saved their game. Some were fine and lost nothing, some lost a day, some 48 hours, some 2 or 3 weeks, one her whole game.

Since I reinstalled, I have not had problems. Except the game seems slower to load on opening or to switch locations. And build mode is excruciatingly slow.